Due to an early flu season and the recent closure of a nearby hospital’s emergency department and health clinics in Tulare, Kaweah Delta Medical Center has set up a tent to expand the size of its waiting area to accommodate the recent surge in patients heading to Kaweah Delta’s Emergency Department (ED).
During periods of peak demand, the tent will be open, as needed, to provide a larger waiting room area for ED patients. The tent is a fully operable “room” which includes electricity, HVAC, and various supplies. It is also well-lit and rain-proof. Patients inside the tent will be monitored by staff.
“Our ED is one of the busiest in the state seeing 90,000 patients each year, but the demand for our medical services has increased to the point that we are taking further steps to best care for each person seeking medical care,” said Gary Herbst, chief executive officer of Kaweah Delta.
During this time, Kaweah Delta is also urging the public to seek care from their personal physicians for conditions that are not life-threatening or will not require hospitalization. When that is not possible or the condition is urgent, but not life-threatening, people are urged to visit an urgent care facility or a walk-in clinic instead of the ED. The following locations are available:
· Kaweah Delta Urgent Care: 1633 S. Court St., Visalia, 624-6090
Hours: 8am to 10pm daily
· Sequoia Prompt Care: 1110 S. Ben Maddox Way, Visalia, 624-5800
Hours: 9am to 7pm, weekdays; 10am to 5pm weekends (closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day)
· Sequoia Prompt Care: 820 S. Akers St. #100, Visalia, 559-624-5800
Hours: 9am to 7pm, weekdays; 9am to 2pm weekends (closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Day)
· Visalia Medical Clinic’s QuickCare: 5400 W. Hillsdale Ave., Visalia, 738-7555
Hours: 8am to 8pm, weekdays; 8am to 5pm on Saturdays; 9am to 2pm on Sundays
If you do not have a physician and need one, a same-day appointment may be available by calling:
· Visalia Family Medicine Center: 202 W. Willow Ave. (5th floor), Visalia, 624-4820
Additionally during this time period, Kaweah Delta is urging patients for their protection and for the protection of others coming to the ED, to bring just one guest.
The following conditions/injuries (not an exhaustive list) are not life-threatening can be treated at Kaweah Delta Urgent Care, Sequoia Prompt Care, or Visalia Medical Clinic’s QuickCare:
· Fever or flu symptoms (cold, sore throat, cough)
· Sprains, broken bones, fractures
· Mild asthma/breathing difficulties
· Abdominal pain
· Cuts (minimal blood, stitches or staples)
· Ear infections
· Vomiting, diarrhea or dehydration
· Animal bites
· Urinary tract infections
· Burns or chemical exposure
· Infected wounds
The following conditions/injuries should be treated at Kaweah Delta’s ED:
· Heart attacks/strokes
· Uncontrollable severe bleeding
· Sudden or severe pain
· Coughing blood or vomiting blood
· Severe breathing difficulties
· Sudden dizziness, weakness or vision changes
· Severe vomiting or diarrhea
· Changes in mental status/confusion
· Open bone fractures
If you are experiencing any of these conditions, please call 911 immediately.