California offers many benefits to its veterans.
- The College Fee Waiver Program offers children and dependents of service-connected disabled or service-related deceased veterans a waiver of tuition fees for California Universities, and State and Community Colleges. Benefits are awarded on an “academic year” basis, and are based on the student’s income. Students are required to reapply each year for continued benefits.
- CAL-VET Loan Programs provides low-cost, low interest financing to eligible, qualified veterans to purchase homes, farms or mobile homes for use as their primary residence.
- State Veterans Homes are available to veterans and their spouses. The veteran must be a California resident at the time of application; must be honorably discharged and must have served during a time of war; must be at least 62 or disabled; must be self-reliant at the time of entry and able to live with minimal support in residential care. Fees are assessed based upon income.
- Fishing/Hunting Licenses and State Parks and Recreation Passes are available at reduced fees.
- Additional Benefits include employment and unemployment insurance assistance, business license/tax and fee waivers, property tax exemptions, and waiver of motor vehicle registration fees.
The Kings County Veterans Service Office issues Veteran I.D. cards to honorably discharged veterans. Contact Joe Wright if you would like to receive periodic veteran’s information by email.
There are many state and federal benefits and programs available to veterans and their dependents. To find out if you are eligible for any of these benefits, visit or call our office. We can and will assist you in completing all required application forms. You can get information on the web from the Kings County Veterans Service Office webpage at www.countyofkings.com.
Joe Wright, retired Navy Master Chief Petty Officer, is the Veterans Service Officer for Kings County. Send your questions to the Veterans Service Office, 1400 W. Lacey Blvd, Hanford, CA 93230; call 852-2669; or e-mail [email protected].