Family HealthCare Network (FHCN) announced that it has selected three high school seniors, two college students and a FHCN employee headed to medical school as the 2014 Anita de la Vega Scholarship recipients.
FHCN established the scholarship in 2009 to honor the memory of Anita de la Vega, a clinician with the network for 30 years and an individual who dedicated her career to serving underserved populations in Tulare County. Each recipient will receive a $600 scholarship for education.
Since 2010, FHCN has provided $10,800 in scholarships to students from Tulare and Kings Counties pursuing careers in health or community health. Scholarship funds are raised primarily from employee donations. Community donations are also accepted.
The 2014 Family HealthCare Network Anita de la Vega Scholarship High School recipients are:
- Briana Anaya, Hanford High School, attending California State University, San Diego, majoring in biology with the intent of becoming a physician or orthodontist;
- Mayeli E. Rodriguez, Golden West High School, attending California State University, Sacramento, majoring in nursing;
- Denivie M. Garivay, Corcoran High School, attending Biola University, majoring in biological science (pre-med).
The 2014 Family HealthCare Network Anita de la Vega Scholarship Junior College recipients are:
- Lorena Diaz, West Hills College, majoring in psychology with a focus on child development;
- Veronica Serrano Valencia, California State University, Fresno, majoring in social work.
The 2014 Family HealthCare Network Anita de la Vega Scholarship Employee recipient is Chuah Cha, A.T. Still University, School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona (SOMA), majoring in osteopathic medicine.
For more information about the Family HealthCare Network Anita de la Vega Scholarship Fund, call Jon Bray, marketing and communications coordinator at 737-4932. If you are interested in making a donation to the scholarship fund, call Marya Vela at 737-4700.