
Though the Porterville City Manager sent out a lengthy press release announcing Rivas’ resignation highlighting his accomplishments, no reason was given for his abrupt departure.
“The City of Porterville announces the resignation of District 3 Councilman AJ Rivas from the Porterville City Council, effective August 21, 2026. Councilman Rivas was elected to represent District 3 on November 5, 2024, to a four year term scheduled to conclude on November 7, 2028. During his time on the City Council, Rivas supported investments in public safety, infrastructure, transportation, economic development, and quality of life throughout Porterville,” the release reads.
His resignation came shortly after Desiree Lynch, a candidate for the Stockton City Council, was arrested on allegations that she did not live in the city council district she was seeking to represent.
Rivas has faced similar allegations, and both share the same campaign treasurer – Springville resident Korey Wells, through his company FSLCOM.
FSLCOM’s 2025 website states that it helps “independent and Republican candidates square away their compliance,” and its current website states that it provides campaign compliance services, bookkeeping for organizations subject to “IRS 527” rules, and payroll/1099 accounting services, without any specific restriction on political affiliation.
According to KRCA–TV, Lynch was arrested on multiple felony charges brought by the San Joaquin County District Attorney for, “False filing declaration of candidacy, voter registration violation, and three counts of perjury.”
Lynch was campaigning to represent Stockton City Council District 5; the district attorney’s office claims that Lynch resided in another district entirely.
“The San Joaquin County DA’s Office is accusing Lynch of perjuring herself by registering to vote and filing as a candidate using residential addresses where she did not live,” KCRA’s report stated.
“The DA’s office said investigators determined Lynch was running for Stocking City Council District 5 while residing in Lodi and North Stockton, which are part of Stockton City Council District 1,” it continued.
Lynch has a court date set for September 2 and faces a maximum of six years and eight months in state prison if convicted. Her bail was set at $100,000.
Tulare County Registrar of Voters Michelle Baldwin previously confirmed to the Valley Voice that Rivas changed his voter registration in May 2024.
She did not reveal the address, but it is known that Rivas changed his registration from his home in District 2 on San Lucia, where he lives with his wife, to his daughter’s home on W. Date Ave located in District 3.
In December 2025, a statement credited to Rivas’ campaign stated that he would not resign, and that the law allowed him to “maintain two locations in Porterville” — his daughter’s address and his own — because he is a “former gang-unit corrections officer who has received death threats.” Maintaining the two addresses was for safety, the release stated.
He beat challenger Timothy Vanni in the November 2024 election for District 3 by five votes.
Porterville community members have complained to the Tulare County District Attorney that they believe Rivas is breaking the law.
The Tulare County District Attorney’s Office has not revealed if, or when, it will investigate the allegations against Rivas.
Stuart Anderson, the office’s communications director, declined to comment beyond stating that the district attorney’s office has a standing policy of “not discussing whether an investigation is proceeding.”
Earlier this year, Porterville Resident Brock Neeley filed a California Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) complaint against Rivas for not disclosing on California Form 700 that he owned a home on San Lucia – only the address on W. Date.
Candidates must fill out a Form 700 that reveals what their economic interests are in and around the district they represent.
The FPPC said that the San Lucia home did not qualify as an economic interest because it was his private residence.
In an April 2, 2026 response the FPPC wrote,
“After review of the complaint and evidence provided, the Enforcement Division will not pursue an enforcement action in this matter. Your complaint appears to allege violations related to the non-disclosure of real property interests held by the respondent. However, property interests are not required to be disclosed if they are a personal residence of the respondent.”
Greg Shelton, a close associate of Rivas, called the Voice in December 2025 and stated that Rivas lived with his wife on San Lucia Ave.
Shelton said that some people have multiple homes and that what defines residency is where a person is registered to vote.
Not quite, according to Baldwin – to qualify to run in a city council district, the candidate has to live in the district for which they are running.
John Duran, another associate of Rivas’, called the Voice and wanted to know why Rivas’ residence was a focus. The Voice asked if Rivas lived with his daughter in District 3.
“Well, he spends a lot of time there babysitting,” Duran said.
According to the city’s press release, the City Council will “consider the process for filling the District 3 vacancy at the September 1, 2026, City Council meeting. Additional information will be provided as that process moves forward.”
